Friday 8 July 2016

Chinese FATS-C Squad WIP

  

I managed to drag myself away from the computer and do some painting, aided by my paint order having arrived.  Didn't realize I'd fluffed the first attempt at taking this focus stack until after processing the stack – that'll teach me I guess.

Still, looking on the positive side, I managed to put some paint down on my models, which has to count for something.

These are Heavy Gear Utopian & Eden faction Golems, which are described on the packaging as heavy augmented infantry.  I'm using these models, with small modifications made to them, to represent the Chinese all terrain suits from my novel Bad Dog.  I have another eight of them to assemble to make up a platoon, but I'm thinking have I got the selection of loadouts right?  I'm tempted to add an extra heavy gunner (second figure on the right) to each squad so as to have two per squad rather than one.

Still some more shading to do before I can do the fiddly stuff like decals etc, but one step closer to completion, and it was nice to remember how much I enjoy painting.
  

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Just a bit of tidying up with some highlights and they'll be done – as in ready to be varnished before adding decals. Need to source some Chinese national markings.

      Delete
  2. Nice painting! From a practical perspective, those sculpts are troublesome as power armor in Heavy Gear though due to the shape. By definition, power(ed) armor would have the pilot's limbs in the respective armor's limbs and the only way a pilot could do that would be if he was a frog legged mutant on those. I don't know how much of the nitty gritty you describe in Bad Dog but it's something to consider if you're using those scuplts for the description of the Chinese suits.

    Any thoughts on the new HG rules? Do you think you'll be trying them out with your forces but set in your own novel's universe fluff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing I noticed too. In my novel they're All Terrain Suits that are driven, so the pilots sit all scrunched up inside: in effect I treat them as small Combat Armour suits, which are my novel's equivalent of Gears.

      As for HG Rules, umh... I shall be trying them out, or at least the quick play versions, but no, they're not my cup of tea.

      As it happens, the other morning at the breakfast table I had an idea of how to use the combat mechanism from X-Wing with the TooFatLardies Chain of Command command and control mechanism grafted together to make a Bad Dog game.

      Delete
    2. G'wan, write it. You know you want to.

      Delete
    3. Gotta sell the novel first. But then, the world will be mine muwuhuhahaha! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with Chain of Command but I did try my hand and some preliminary Xwing rules for both Robotech and Heavy Gear. For low model counts, using the Flight Path system works once you adapt the movement system. The D&D attack wing game has unit based ground combat adapted from Flight Path if you want to check it out. It's formation based for units but an interesting free rules read nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check that out. Cheers for the heads up.

      Delete
  4. Great job on these figures, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I hope to have much fun playing with them in due course – just as soon as I can finish my other force.

      Delete