Sunday 1 February 2015

The Fleet Arrives



So what you see here is the refreshed GSN fleet, courtesy of Rear Admiral Henry Hyde who commissioned me to write a spaceship article.  They're also my first entry to this year's Vis Lardica painting challenge.
 
To my dismay, I found that several of the models were damaged: bits broken off and castings deformed by gravity (lead is softer than pewter and several ships were noticeably drooping), and so they're all going through a refurbishment programme to get them fit for purpose.  I should add that none of the bases for my space-fleet were finished either, so I took the opportunity to actually repaint the ships.

This is therefore the first of several posts that will show off my space-fleets.

These are unimaginatively called my Green Space Navy (GSN for short, where the "G" can also stand for generic, if I feel in the mood).  These are very old models that I've had for over twenty years.  They've mostly been sitting on my display shelf getting dusty all that time, so when I took them down to photograph I had to wash them to get the dust off.  Oops, as they say.

The above picture shows part of my cruiser squadron.  These are models from the QT Models Starforce range, which later became part of the Citadel spaceship line, all to 1/10,000th scale.  The three smaller ships have been modified them by the simple process of removing the add on fins that I thought looked terrible.  I have two more ships to finish to complete this squadron, but they need more work to rectify age related stress fractures.


More QT Starforce 300 models representing my main battleships (dreadnought and super-dreadnought) and two corvettes.  Both of the larger ships have added stardrive units attached to them.  Also, the larger model to the right has also been modified as I didn't like the front end of the original, so I cut up a spare model to get the front bridge unit you see here, which also gives the ships a unified fleet look.
   

10 comments:

  1. The smaller ones have a sort of "lumpy submarine" aesthetic about them which is rather pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. I wish I had bought more back in the day, or that they were still available. I shall be keeping an eye on eBay, but can't afford the silly prices things sometimes go for.

      Delete
  2. Oo err! _Rear_ Admiral? Gosh, I suppose that's a promotion...

    Great stuff Ashley, looking forward to seeing what you've cooked up. there's something very 'garden centre' about this colour scheme, so it could be Garden Senter Navy...

    I'll get my coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're forgiven. Howabout Gardner Senter Navy?

      Delete
  3. Nice.

    I like your choice of colours.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I've deleted the duplicate of your comment to tidy up the thread. Thanks again for reading.

      Delete
  4. Love the colors, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yeah, they really pop for some reason.

      Delete
  5. They are great! I'am just about to build up a space navy myself, but I like the look of those ships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend Ground Zero Games range for the wide choice of styles, but as the adverts always say; other products available.

      Delete