Monday 13 August 2012

Congenial 2012: Cambridge

  

Went to Cambridge this weekend to attend Congenial a small games convention that had Phil & Kaja Foglio as guests of honour. I hadn't been planning on attending at all, if truth be told. What happened was that I was browsing the SJG forums and saw a we want MiBs for OGRE/GEV post. So I emailed Frank Carver the European MiB and asked if this was a current need, to be told that it was? After a brief, and what was hopefully witty email to introduce myself, I was asked if I could make it to Congenial to meet people and see if my face fit etc.?

My partner is not a gamer as such, but when I mentioned that the Foglio's were the guest of honour that made our attendance inevitable. Fortunately, we have some good friends in Cambridge, so we had the added pleasure of staying with Kate & Malcolm, getting to hang out with them.


Turned up on Saturday and introduced myself to Daniel, in the OGRE t-shirt, the new line developer for OGRE, and play a bunch of games as the OGRE. Had a whale of a time. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play. The guy on the left in the photo is Chris, who won the tourney prize.


The OGRE advances as Chris moves his forces into contact. He was a very skillful player and his victory was well deserved.

Saturday night I sold a few excess games at the auction, and Sunday was a rinse and repeat cycle of playing more games of OGRE. I rather liked introducing myself as Ashley your OGRE for today.
 

5 comments:

  1. It was fantastic having you and Gareth at the table, Ashley! The 'exhibition match' between you and Chris was one of the best I've seen. Thanks for your enthusiastic demoing -- Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Always glad to be of service to the cause. You made the weekend fun.

      Delete
  2. If you check my FB page you can see some of the photos I took at Congenial.
    Best one would have been when Kaja saw the Minimuth skull, but the water bottle got a bit in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would check it out, but assuming that Woolf is spelt with a double-O, then I can't find it.

      Delete
    2. OPPS, my mistake.
      Woolf is my tag for most blogs, forums and MMO's. Look for Steve Harbron.

      Delete